Monday, February 10, 2014

6: Water, Water Everywhere…


We prepare for the long stretch at sea. Students hit their stride in classes. Life Long Learners and faculty families settle into a shipboard routine.  Children are in “school” with a parent or caregiver in the mornings and have afternoon activities.

I have 7:15am yoga everyday. We struggle to maintain our poses with the rolling and pitching of the ship. Tree Pose however, is impossible, so we have to cheat. In my Exiles and Visionaries class, we are reading Robinson Crusoe. 

When we get to Japan, a third of the academic semester will be over and between our stops in Japan, China and Vietnam, there would only be a handful of academic days. Gary decides he should give his students the first midterm before we dock in Yokohama while everything is still fresh in their minds.




With water all around us, it is the small changes in light that catch my attention. The sea is relatively calm for the first few days. With students in classes during most of the day, taking photographs with the Life Long Learner group that I am a part of, is a bit eerie...a massive empty ship on the high seas...







A few days out of Hawaii, we cross the International Date Line...well, we have some flexibility in deciding when to actually "cross" it, so the powers that be decide that we will celebrate Martin Luther King day (rather than skip it) and then go to sleep on Monday night, and wake up on Wednesday morning. Good choice.

A lone ship we encounter about five days out of Hawaii
Things seem to be going well. Then we hit some rough weather! I thought I had gotten away without the dreaded sea sickness, but it was not to be...both Gary and I suffered. His was over it in a day, but mine lingered...and lingered! The mornings were bearable and somehow I made it through yoga. But the afternoons and evenings were the worst.

I began to wonder what my life would be like for the next few weeks. My concern started to overshadow my anticipation and excitement over seeing Japan for the first time. I heard stories of people who were sick for the whole voyage. There was even an extreme case of one person who had to fly from port to port! Would that be me? Horrors!

Luckily once we make it to Japan, the sea crossings will be short, and we would make it through to China, Vietnam, Singapore and Myanmar with only having one or two days at sea. I could only hope that once on solid land, I could somehow regain my equilibrium...


Gary grades his Geologic Hazards field lab essays as it storms all around us...

No comments:

Post a Comment